Crea sito
Oggi è 24/05/2017, 1:13

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora

Pagina 1 di 1 [ 1 messaggio ] 
Autore Messaggio
 Oggetto del messaggio: Plastic surgery par excellence
MessaggioInviato: 06/05/2011, 22:50 
Amministratore

From "Gazzettino Sampierdarenese" - march 2011, link: http://www.seseditoria.com/marzo_11/marzo_11bassa.pdf

Plastic surgery par excellence

A first in the world for Villa Scassi hospital in the treatment of lichen

In February the TV news on Rai’s channel one medical programme covered the news item: plastic surgery at Villa Scassi, headed by Giorgio Lavagnino, has perfected an innovative and successful treatment of lichen sclerosus, a rare inflammatory condition which leads to sclerosis and atrophy. It commonly affects the anus and genital areas. This can lead to serious functional and psychological consequences while the causes are unknown. Possibly an auto-immune disease. The traditional treatment is cortisone. But there are negative side effects involved in the continuous application of cortisone and complications may ensue. Surgical therapy does not give better results and can cause further scarring.
Dr Lavagnino’s team, in collaboration with the Gynocology division and the Transfusion Centre, directed by Dr Cagetti, was the first in the world to describe this new methodology. Numerous scientific awards have followed, incuding the IMCAS award. In October 2010 an article on the method was printed in the sector’s most important American scientific review Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
“The therapy involves a regenerative treatment of the mucous which removes the symptoms and reduces the atrophy and sclerosus”, explained Dr Francesco Casabona, the plastic surgeon who has been mainly responsible for this research. “A sample of the patient’s blood is taken to extract the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and a sample of adipose tissue is taken to obtain adult stem cells. This is then put in the centrifuge and the substance obtained is injected into the damaged tissue”. Results are rapid and effective.
The method had already been used successfully in the treatment of post-traumatic scarring and burns. The great idea came in thinking that it could be applied to lichen sclerosus. The results of the new therapy have meant that there has been a constant flow of women from all over Italy coming for treatment. And not only from Italy: recently patients have come from as far afield as the US and Kuwait too. “I should also like to mention”, concludes Dr Casabona, that February saw the foundation of A.LI.SA (The Italian Association for the fight against lichen sclerosus). The associtation’s website is lichensclerosus.altervista.org”.
Just out of interest, the web site includes two articles published in 2008 in our newspaper the Gazzettino, one was a column which was in fact the first to talk about the research being carried out in the Villa Scassi hospital at that time.

Marco Bonetti

As President and on behalf of the Association A.LI.S.A., i should like to thank Dr Francesco Casabona for mentioning our Association and giving the address of our website. I should also like to express my thanks to the Editors of the Gazzettino Sampierdarenese newspaper for appreciating the publication of previous articles on the subject on our site.
Thank you!

The President of the Association A.LI.S.A.
(Salem, Forum Administrator)

Profilo  

Pagina 1 di 1 [ 1 messaggio ] 

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora